Duration: ~ 5.5 hours walking
Elevation: 1639 m gain (5,277 ft), max elevation 764 m (2,506 ft)
Location: Parco di Colli di Bergamo, Bergamo, Province of Bergamo, Italy
We began and finished this hike at Piazzetta del Delfino, on via Pignolo in Bergamo. Here are the specifics:
- We walked down to the Bergamo Borgo Palazzo to the Tramvie Elettriche Bergamasche (TEB) stop and took the tram to Nembro.
- From Nembro we followed trail 535 to Lonno.
- From Lonno we took trail 533 to Castello and walked into Monte di Nese.
- From Monte di Nese we took trail 540 to Olera.
- From Olera we took trail 532 to Ca' del Latte.
- From Ca' del Latte we took trail 533 to Quintino alto.
- From Quinto alto we took city streets back home.
We missed the turn off in Lonno for trail 532 and ended up on 533 which turned out to be more interesting if not a bit longer. We would join up later with trail 532 in Olera. The only thing missing from this hike was a nice lunch spot because we missed the frazione of Burro (Alzano Lombardo). We did stop of a coffee and a chat in the charming little town of Olera.
The first half of the hike is outside the Parco di Colli di Bergamo. Olera sits just on the border of the park, so after passing through Olera on trail 532 we were in the park.
Left: Heading toward Monte di Nese on trail 533. Right: View over Olera.
Left: The last bit of trail 533 before dropping onto pavement in Bergamo (Quintino Alto). Right: Beetles on a flower.
Il percorso della Rana. One of three loops your can follow in the hills around Alzano Lombardo. The rana (or frog) is a loop that is about the fauna. More info here.
A sampling of the trail signs along the way. Best thing to do before doing a hike around Bergamo is consult the CAI Bergamo site and use their interactive map.