- Web sites
- * Checklist flora per regione for Lombardia allows you to navigate families and genera. It is a comprehensive site.
- FAB - Gruppo Flora Alpina Bergamasca includes a beautiful guide to beautiful flowers around Albino, close to Bergamo.
- www.fioribrembani.it is useful for searching for color and petals.
- Flora Alpi Orobie contains just a few of the beloved flowers of the Orobie.
- Fiori di montagna Alpi Orobie contains a table of flower thumbnail pictures that are useful if you don't know where to start.
- I fiori della Val di Scalve is a list of flowers that's useful if you know what you are looking for.
- Monte Bastia e del Roccolo contains a description of the plants and trees of the Monte Bastia area. There are no pictures, but contains a good overview (in Italian) of the type of landscapes you'll find around Bergamo.
- Erbe spontanee commestibili by Luciano and Gatti.
- Identification brochures created by the Rete orti botanici lombardia, called Piante degli incolti and Piante del sottobosco.
- Fiori di montagna delle Alpi Sud Occidentali by Iolanda Armand Ugon and Giovanni Manavella. Even though this is a book for the Western Alps, many plants are found in there as well as the Bergamasque Prealps.
- Flora alpina e dell'Appennino. Again, wrong mountain range, but still a useful resource.
- * Wild-flowers App is for flower identification in France and Western Europe. The app has a wizard that lets you search by color, shape, type of inflorescence, leaf margin, or arrangement of leaves to produce a list of matches. You can search also by family or genera. Overall, this is a well-designed app.
- Washington Wildflowers App. Woah!? Yes, this app is for Washington State in the USA, but it still a great way to get "close" to the right family and genus when you have a flower you never seen before. Like the Wild-flowers App, a wizard allows you to select different characteristics of the flower and shows you a list of matches.
- Two other apps focused on European flowers that I tried are Wildflowers of Europe and Asia - eFlowersEA and Flora Europe. The former is only useful if you know what are looking for. The latter has a wizard, but you are immediately forced to use the wizard which limits the ability to explore different families, genera or species of plants like Wild-flowers App does.
Thursday, March 2, 2017
Resources for Identifying Plants around Bergamo
Here are some of the resources we use to identify plants we see on our hikes around Bergamo. The items marked with an asterisk (*) are the ones we tend to use the most.